CHISPEDIH (Children Speech Disorder Help) project is an annual project geared towards addressing the issues of speech disorder amongst children 1-12 years old in the 6 geo-political zones of Nigeria in the following locations;
- North Central Zone – Abuja
- North East Zone – Adamawa State
- North West Zone – Kaduna State
- South East Zone – Imo State
- South South Zone – Rivers State
- South West Zone – Lagos State
CHISPEDIH provides help / succor for affected children in the following areas:-
- Identifying children with Speech Disorder with focus on children with ASD.
- Recognizing variations in development versus speech delay.
- Management of Children with Speech Disorder with focus on children with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).
- Providing succor and Professional Assistance to Parents of children with Speech Disorders.
- Providing basic health care when necessary to Children with Speech Disorders.
- Providing ABA classes to parents, guidance and teachers of children with speech disorders.
- Organizing formal hearing tests by audiologists for Children living with Speech Disorders.
Language is the process of communication with others, which involves elements of understanding and expression (Speech). Language and Speech is one of most highly developed of all human skills. It gives human-beings a framework for thoughts, which allows people to communicate but when a child has Speech Disorder, it usually becomes an issue of concern for parents, caregivers and even their schools, as it affects them academically and socially and this of course calls for great worry. With CHISPEDIH affected children get help and live their dreams.
In Nigeria 2 out of 10 children within the ages of 1 – 12years suffer from one form of Speech Disorder or the other due to various reasons:-
- Cleft Lip
- Tongue Tie
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental problems
- Maturational Delay (Often familial)
- Environmental Deprivation & Neglect
- Learning Disability
- Selective Mutism
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech
Children who become beneficiaries of CHISPEDIH is assessed to identify the following;
- How normal is the Child’s ear
- Does the Child have an articulation (Speech) language problem?
- Does the Child have an isolated problem or is the problem part of a more global delay?
- Does the Child have a communication disorder?
- Can the Child understand basic Step(S) of instructions(S) when given?
How we achieve / record success in this project;
- Employment of Medical Personnel
- Free Medical Tests
- Partnerships with local councils
- Workshops & Seminars
- Involvement of parents and Care-Givers in the program
- Involvement of Schools in the program
- Involvement of religious organizations in the program
Our Strategy:- We use the media to create awareness of CHISPEDIH (Children Speech Disorder Help) project all over Nigeria. We also work in partnership with local government councils and NGO’s, Religious Organizations, Schools and other institutions of learning for awareness creation, education and to gather data for Child Speech Disorder Help Project. We employ the services of medical professionals’ e.g Pediatricians, Audiologists, ABA Specialists, Speech Therapists e.t.c to work with us nationwide on this project.